West Point Grey Community
The local Musqueam people lived here in the ancient village of
Ee'yullmough and the earliest modern immigrants were attracted to the site as well. Spaniard Jose Narvaez and his crew rediscovered it in 1791 and named it Langara Point. The next year, Captains Galiano and Valdez
ran into Captain Vancouver off the same shore. This meeting led to the naming of two local areas: Spanish Banks and English Bay. In 1865 Jeremiah Rogers set up the first logging camp and cut down the giant fir
trees for use as "the best spars in the world." In the 1870s others set up a whaling station here.
By 1897, the area's outstanding recreational potential was evident, yet
only 54 property owners had set up homes. They were soon joined by the Government Reserves, which recognized the area's strategic location and set up a post at the Point and along Jericho (now the site of UBC, Jericho
Park, the former School for the Deaf and Blind, and the Jericho army base). In the 1920s, its strategic location made it an ideal air station site from which flying boats would chase rumrunners, map the coastline, and
track illegal immigrants. During war years, anti-submarine reconnaissance was performed from the site.
In 1908, the Municipality of Point Grey was established by breaking away from the Municpality of South Vancouver. The newly-elected Council moved
quickly to improve access and services to the area. In that first year of incorporation, water service reached West Point Grey, construction began on the scenic Northwest Marine Drive, and the Jericho Golf and Country Club opened.
In 1909, a one-room schoolhouse was built for the area's 24 children. The wooden structure still stands on the bluffs overlooking Spanish Banks, dwarfed by the newer Queen Mary School.
Despite the municipality's investment in roads, sewers and parks, development lagged. To spur new development, a tax was levied on all unimproved
land. That year, 1912, $250,000 worth of building permits were issued and the boom began. Commercial development followed and by 1924, 40 shops lined 10th Avenue between Tolmie and Trimble Streets.溫哥華市西格雷岬社區
In 1921, construction began on the Pacific Coast Station of the Royal Canadian Air Force at Jericho Beach. When the federal government decided to
move the station in 1967, the future of the Jericho lands became an issue. Far-sighted citizens and politicians finally agreed that the area should be a
park, and in the early 1970s an additional 54 hectares (133 acres) of recreational land was made available to the public.
溫哥華市西葛雷岬(West Point Grey)社區街樹與歷史建築解說
地點：溫哥華市4 Ave向西行到底，靠右道接 NW Marine Drive，到4397 West 2nd Ave西葛雷岬社區中心門口West Point Grey Community
Centre(4397 West 2 Ave., Vancouver)。http://goo.gl/maps/pJbgQ
在溫哥華地區的人們大都知道史丹利公園(Stanley Park)與伊麗莎白女王公園，但並不多人知道溫哥華市第二大公園為傑里科海灘(Jericho Beach)公