Dunbar Community History
The first non-native settlers in the area were the Mounts who purchased a lot on 22nd Avenue in 1912 and built a shack; the lot became 3379 West 22nd Avenue.
The streetcar reached Clare Road (now Dunbar Street) in 1913 and went as far as 41st Avenue by 1925. By 1927,the area was served by three streetcar routes. Dunbar-Southlands became part of Vancouver in 1929
when the Municipality of Point Grey amalgamated with the City of Vancouver.
The first significant land development in Dunbar-Southlands occurred in the mid-1920s and some of the homes built during this period still stand
today. Because West Point Grey's 1922 zoning by-laws dictated that these early homes be situated well back on their lots, those that remain standout as neighbourhood landmarks. Subsequent development took
place in the years following World War II and then again in the early 1970s when King Edward Place and Salish Park were developed.
Dunbar-Southlands has a rich architectural heritage and, fortunately, a number of significant homes and buildings still remain from the area's early
settlement days. As of June 1992, there were 21 structures listed on the Vancouver Heritage Register.
Lord Kitchener School located on Blenheim at King Edward was built in 1914. This building features a refined combination of wood surfaces and
textures, and is a very good example of the sophisticated use of wood that could be seen in Vancouver prior to the First World War.
Some of the earliest homes in this area are designed in the English Arts and Crafts and the Edwardian Building styles. Many of the homes were built
before 1920 and remain as single family homes to this day. The Haigler House at 3537 W. 30th Avenue is a good example of such a building. Community support prompted its preservation.
Dunbar Residents Association
地點：溫哥華市Knox United Church(5600 Balaclava at West 41st Avenue)。