About West Vancouver
As early as 1791, the Spanish explorer Jose Maria Narvaez sighted Point Atkinson. One year later, Captain George Vancouver entered Burrard
Inlet, and met with the First Nations residents of Holmulchesun, a Coast Salish settlement at the mouth of the Capilano River.
Aside from merchants trading with the First Nation people, West Vancouver
remained undisturbed. However, the opening of the Pioneer Mills in 1863 and the subsequent lumber trade led to a boom in real estate speculation. The Municipality of North Vancouver, which included West Vancouver, was
incorporated in 1891 with a population of 300. By 1912, sufficient settlement warranted the incorporation of the District of West Vancouver, with Charles Nelson as the first Reeve.
Early development in the area occurred in
small coastal communities such as Hollyburn, Dundarave, Caulfeild, and Horseshoe Bay. Canneries, logging, and a small amount of farming provided livelihood for the few year-round residents.
Rough terrain precluded further industrial development, and getting to or around the Municipality was difficult. But, a private ferry service, established in 1909
, soon provided regular access. Train service was initiated in 1914, but a road connecting all of these communities was not completed until 1926.
The 1926 Town Planning Act set the future pattern for the community by banning new industry, limiting commercial development
to specific pockets, and establishing large lot sizes. In the 1930's, the area*s unspoiled beauty attracted a group of English
investors, the British Pacific Properties Company, which bought thousands of acres of land for $75,000. Their residential subdivision, known as the British Properties
, is now one of the most exclusive neighbourhoods in Canada. To develop their lands, the Company was required to construct Lions Gate Bridge, completed in 1938, across Burrard Inlet to the City of Vancouver.
Park Royal Shopping Centre, the first shopping mall in Canada, opened in 1950. The 1960*s saw the development of the
Ambleside Apartment area when West Vancouver experienced a building boom of waterfront high-rises. Later, in 1974, the Upper Levels Highway was completed.
Today, West Vancouver*s population is about 43,000
. Despite this growth and its proximity to downtown Vancouver, the area still manages to retain a small town atmosphere. This community feeling shows through such popular events as Community
Day, the Coho Festival, the Dundarave Hoe-Down, the Harmony Arts Festival and Horseshoe Bay Day.
區之一，它擁有兩千五百公頃以上的公園與休閒地，居民所得冠於全國。當你開車橫跨伯拉德內海(Burrard Inlet)的獅子門橋，這正是1938年基尼士家族(Guinness Family)為了提昇他們的英屬產業(British Properties)的價值
沿著一號公路西行，由第八號出口爬上黃柏省立公園(Cypress Provincial Park)。沿路可以觀賞溫哥華港美麗
午後沿著Marine Drive來到西溫哥華西南角的燈塔公園(Lighthouse Park)，走一趟森林浴，真是人生一大享受。因為這裡是大溫哥華地區唯一的原始古老森林，從來沒有被砍伐過。1912年西溫哥華市成立，同時興建了這
座燈塔。這個阿金森岬(Point Akinson)是200年前喬治哥華船長所發現命名的，數年前政府正式列為國家古蹟。公園內古木參天，步道密布，由於它位於海岸冷杉(Douglas Fir)與鐵杉(Hemlock)的過渡生態區，遂成為沿海灣區乾燥生態特殊植物的生長地。
爾後，我們來到鎮上逛街，作一趟建築古蹟文化步行。八月初的和諧文化節(Harmony Arts Festival)的藝術家工作坊巡禮，您可記得參觀。您也順便到建於1950年加拿大最早的購物中心Park Royal Mall，購買幾種可口的海鮮晚餐，全家來到海邊的John Lawson公園，享受夏天傍晚的海邊音樂會。或是沿著海邊步道漫步到Ambleside公園